For many people, tamales are synonymous with Mexican cuisine. These stuffed cornhusks are typically filled with a savory mixture of meat, cheese, and spices, and they can be served as a main course or appetizer. While tamales are now enjoyed by people all over the world, there are still some things that might surprise you about this dish. Here are 5 interesting facts about tamales:
1. Tamales have been around for centuries. The earliest evidence of tamale-making dates back to around 10,000 BC, and the dish has been a staple of Mesoamerican cuisine ever since.
2. Tamales are traditionally made by steaming. The corn husks need to be soaked in water before they can be filled and rolled, and then they’re steamed until the cornmeal filling is cooked through.
3. Tamales can be made with a variety of fillings. In addition to meat and cheese, tamales can also be filled with vegetables, fruits, or even sweet ingredients like chocolate or candy.
4. Tamales are often sold by street vendors, and they are popular snack food.
5. Tamales can be made with different types of fillings, including chicken, beef, pork, cheese, and vegetables.
Leave a Reply